Delicious and crunchy, the apple fruit is one of the most popular and favorite fruits in the world, among different circles of people who either favor it for its health benefits or just plain deliciousness.
While you probably know the fruit’s myriad health benefits, chances are you’ve never heard some really interesting facts about apples.
Here’s 15 fun and funny facts you’ve probably never knew about apples to let you know “What’s Appeling” with your favourite fruit.
- Apples contain antioxidants that have health promoting and disease prevention properties, and thereby, justify the saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
- Apples are mostly consumed directly but can be made into more delicious pastries, sweets and drinks.
- Apples come in all shades and colors of red, green and yellow.
- There is a classic story that Sir Isaac Newton came up with his law of gravity when an apple fell on his head.
- The apple is popularly assumed as the supposed forbidden fruit of Eden. But this is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible!
- Apples contain malic acid, a chemical used in teeth whitening products, which helps dissolve stains.
- Apple trees take four to five years to produce their first fruit and can live for more than 100 years.
- Harvesting of apples is mostly done by hand
- Apples float in water because 25 percent of their volume is made up by air.
- Giving someone an apple is seen as a sign of love, hence the saying “you’re the apple of my eye.”
- It’s cheaper to buy apples by the dozen or packs than in units.
- Apples ripen six to 10 times faster at room temperature than if they are refrigerated.
- Apples are the next richest fruit in Vitamin C content to oranges
- Apples contain no fat, sodium or cholesterol with two-thirds of the fiber, nutrients and antioxidants found in the peel. Don’t peel it to eat it.
- One famous association of apples is with the Apple gadgets. Story has it the founder couldn’t think of a name for his tech company and decided to name it after his favourite fruit.